Skip To Content



Precinct Information

The City of Plainwell has one voting precinct located at City Hall, 211 N. Main St.

Michigan Voter Information Center
This website will provide additional precinct information, let you know if you are registered to vote, provide maps of polling locations, a list of candidates and ballot proposals specific to your precinct, and a calendar of important election dates.

Voter Registration Information

To register to vote you must be a US citizen, 18 years of age by Election Day, and a resident of Michigan and the city/township where you are applying. to qualify to vote in an upcoming election. You may register to vote at the Office of the City Clerk or any Michigan Secretary of State branch office. You may also register to vote by mail by downloading an application from Michigan Secretary of State. Please note if you register to vote by mail you must vote in person, unless you are 60 years of age or older.

Absentee Ballot

Am I Eligible?

Voting buttonUnder Michigan Law, all registered residents are able to request an absentee ballot.

Requesting a Ballot

If you are a resident of the City of Plainwell, call us at 269-685-6821 or send an email to Brian Kelley, to request an Application for Absent Voter Ballot. A signed application must be received before a ballot can be mailed. If you have any questions, please call or send an email.

Once the signed application is received and approved, the absentee ballot is sent by mail, generally the business day after the application is recieved.  Ballots may also be picked up by the voter in person at the City Clerk’s office, within City Hall, at 211 N. Main Street. Ballots cannot be given to anyone other than the voter. Voters will be asked to present a valid photo ID when obtaining an absentee ballot in person at the Clerk’s office.  Anyone who does not have an acceptable form of photo ID or did not bring it with them can still vote.  They will be required to sign a brief affidavit stating that they are not in possession of photo ID.

If you are not a City of Plainwell resident, please contact your local clerk for an absentee ballot. Remember a Plainwell address does not always indicate a City of Plainwell residence. Your voter identification card will list the jurisdiction of residence and contact information. If your jurisdiction is within Allegan County, contact the Allegan County Clerk’s office at 269-673-0450.

Completing the Ballot

Inside your ballot envelope will be the ballot and two envelopes.

  • Vote the ballot by completely filling in the oval to the right of the candidate’s name, using a black or blue pen.
  • Be sure to vote for only the number of candidates listed in the heading for that office. Some offices allow more than one candidate to be nominated.
  • Complete both sides of the ballot.
  • Making sure the ballot stub is shown, refold the ballot and place in the secrecy sleeve.
  • Place the secrecy sleeve envelope into the manila envelope, seal and sign within the red box on the front of the manila envelope. The ballot will not count if the envelope is not signed!

Returning the Ballot

  • Ballots may be returned by postal mail or dropped off at the Clerk’s office (or in the dropbox located in the parking area of Fannie Pell Park) by the voter, an immediate family member, a person residing in the same household or an assistant of the clerk.
  • Ballots must be returned by 8:00pm on Election Day.

Tips for Mailing

  • Don’t forget to sign!
  • Mail early! Ballots must be in the City Clerk’s office by 8:00pm Election Day.
  • Place a line through your address on the manila envelope. That helps the post office but also allows us to identify which ballots have been returned.
  • One first-class stamp will deliver the ballot to us.

Permanent Absentee List

The City Clerk’s office maintains a permanent absent voter application list. Voters on this list will automatically receive an application for every election. If you’d like to be placed on this list, please call 269-685-6821.

Military or Overseas Citizens

The State of Michigan allows Military and Overseas Citizens to vote using their last known registered address.

You may contact your commanding officer and receive a Federal Post Card Registration and Absentee Ballot Application (FPCA). If you are a citizen overseas you may contact your Consulate Office. Or visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program

Navigating the election process for students and first-time voters



Can an absentee ballot be sent to a post office box?

We can mail your absentee ballot to your post office box if the post office box is where you would normally receive your personal mail, and you do not receive mail at your registration address. Your registration address is still necessary to complete the application.

I made a mistake on my absentee ballot. Can I receive another absentee ballot?

If you spoil your ballot in any way, you can receive another absentee ballot assuming there’s plenty of time before the election. Simply return the ballot in the envelope provided. Instead of signing the envelope, write “SPOILED” in the signature box. Upon receipt, a new ballot will be issued. If time is running short, please call office at 269‑685‑6821 for further instruction.

Can you cast an absentee ballot on Election Day?

Normally you cannot vote an absentee ballot on Election Day. However, if an emergency has occurred, such as you have been hospitalized on Election Day, or sickness or death has occurred in your family which will not allow you to go to the polls, you may receive an emergency absentee ballot. You will need to contact our office if this has occurred.

Can I drop off my absentee ballot at my voting precinct?


Can I vote at my voting precinct after I have voted an absentee ballot?

Only if you have not turned in your absentee ballot! To do so, you must take your absentee ballot to your voting precinct. The poll worker will then void your ballot, and allow you to vote in person.

I’ve recently moved from another state and am ineligible to vote in Michigan. Can I still vote?

If you have resided in the city for at least 30 days, are a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age, and not current incarcerated, you can register to vote.  The State of Michigan has a step-by-step guide to assist voters in determining registration eligiblity.

I’ve heard absentee ballots are only counted if the election is close, is that true?

All absentee ballots returned by 8:00pm on Election Day are counted!

I’m a military and/or overseas resident, I’ve requested a ballot but am afraid there won’t be time to receive it, vote it and have it back by Election Day. What can I do?

You should contact your commanding officer or US Consulate and vote a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB). This form allows the voter to write the candidate of his or her choice for any office or ballot initiative they would see on the official ballot. A military or overseas voter using the FWAB may write in votes for any federal, state or local office, or proposal on the ballot.