Republic Services is contracted by the City to offer a spring (May) and fall (October) curbside bulk trash pick up. Watch the Union Enterprise, Shoppers Guide and website calendar for date. For specific questions, call
Republic Services at 888-249-5112 or 269-216-8000.
Residents are asked to place items out for pick up at curbside after 3:00pm Friday and by dawn on Monday morning. Our drivers will be out starting at 6:00am. Republic Services will not return to a section once they have completed the route; Streets are done only ONE time. Please have your items out before 6:00am Monday to ensure pickup. Smaller items need to be placed in clear, heavy duty plastic bags or open containers, no black trash bags. Contractors must be able to see each item
to determine if it qualifies for pickup.
Acceptable items for pickup
- Mattresses - must have a cover due to health reasons.
- Appliances such as stoves, refrigerators - door removed or wired shut for safety reasons. Freon removed and unit tagged by a licensed facility showing that the freon has been removed.
- Home fixtures and other items that are not considered hazzardous
- Latex paint - paint must be dried in containers (use sawdust or kitty litter)
- Small amount of building materials such as doors (limit 2), and fencing - material needs to be cut down to fit into the truck and be lifted by 1 person.
- Small car parts
- Manageable bundles and containers. Contractors are not allowed to unload vehicles or trailers.
Unacceptable items for pickup
- NO Black trash bags - clear bags only, items must be visible
- Windows or glass
- Large plastic drums
- Large pieces of metal
- Yard Waste
- Liquid waste or hazardous waste
- Tires (may be acceptable if cut up into flat pieces) and tires on rims
- Non-latex paints and varnishes
- Regulated medical waste
- Motor oil, batteries and solvents
- Large car parts such as engine blocks,bodies, oversized hoods and doors.
- Building demolition material - while certain amounts of construction debris is acceptable, large cloumes such as garages or house demolition debris that would normally require a construction style dumpster cannot be taken.
The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MEDC) lists most of the unacceptable items above banned from Michigan landfills. If you any questions please don't hesitate to call us at 1-888-249-5112 or 269-216-8000.
Republic Services of Southwest Michigan