Republic Services is contracted by the City to offer two curbside bulk trash pick up services each year. Watch the Union Enterprise, Shoppers Guide and website calendar for dates. For specific questions, call
Republic Services at 888-249-5112 or 269-216-8000.
Residents are asked to place items out for pick up at curbside after 3:00pm Friday and by end of day Sunday night. Our drivers will be out starting at 6:00am. Republic Services will not return to a section once they have completed the route; Streets are done only ONE time. It may take a full week to reach the entire City. Please have your items out before 6:00am Monday to ensure pickup.
Bulk trash pickup is for LARGE ITEMS ONLY that do not fit in your regular weekly pickup. Smaller items that fit in a garbage bag should be disposed of with your usual trash pickup, NOT put out for bulk trash pickup. Pickup is limited to 3 cubic yards per dwelling unit- approximately equal to a pick-up truck bed. Please note: Republic employees are NOT allowed to unload vehicles or trailers.
Acceptable items for pickup
- Mattresses - must have a cover due to health reasons.
- Toys, Bicycles
- Appliances such as stoves, refrigerators - door removed or wired shut for safety reasons. Freon removed and unit tagged by a licensed facility showing that the freon has been removed.
- Home fixtures and other items that are not considered hazardous
- Latex paint - paint must be dried in containers (use sawdust or kitty litter)
- SMALL amounts of building materials such as doors (limit 2), cabinets, and fencing - material needs to be cut down to fit into the truck and be lifted by 1 person.
- Small car parts
- Tires- ONLY if cut into flat pieces
Unacceptable items for pickup
- SMALL ITEMS- if items fit inside a trash bag, they should be disposed of with your normal weekly trash service
- Black trash bags or any packaging that prevents workers from seeing the item(s) inside
- Windows or glass
- Large plastic drums
- Large pieces of metal
- Yard Waste
- Liquid waste or hazardous waste
- Tires (may be acceptable if cut up into flat pieces) and tires on rims
- Non-latex paints and varnishes
- Regulated medical waste
- Motor oil, batteries and solvents
- Large car parts such as engine blocks,bodies, oversized hoods and doors.
- Building demolition material - while certain amounts of construction debris is acceptable, large cloumes such as garages or house demolition debris that would normally require a construction style dumpster cannot be taken.
The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MEDC) lists most of the unacceptable items above banned from Michigan landfills. If you any questions please don't hesitate to call us at 1-888-249-5112 or 269-216-8000.
Republic Services of Southwest Michigan