Requesting the Ballot
If you are a resident of the City of Plainwell, call us at 269-685-6821 or send an email to Brian Kelley, to request an Application for Absent Voter Ballot. A signed application must be received before a ballot can be mailed. If you have any questions, please call or send an email.
Once the signed application is received and approved, the absentee ballot is sent by mail, generally the business day after the application is received. Ballots may also be picked up by the voter in person at the City Clerk’s office, within City Hall, at 211 N. Main Street. Ballots cannot be given to anyone other than the voter. Voters will be asked to present a valid photo ID when obtaining an absentee ballot in person at the Clerk’s office. Anyone who does not have an acceptable form of photo ID or did not bring it with them can still vote. They will be required to sign a brief affidavit stating that they are not in possession of photo ID.
If you are not a City of Plainwell resident, please contact your local clerk for an absentee ballot. Remember a Plainwell address does not always indicate a City of Plainwell residence. Your voter identification card will list the jurisdiction of residence and contact information. If your jurisdiction is within Allegan County, contact the Allegan County Clerk’s office at 269-673-0450.
Completing the Ballot
Inside your ballot envelope will be the ballot and two envelopes.
Returning the Ballot
- Vote the ballot by completely filling in the oval to the right of the candidate’s name, using a black or blue pen.
- Be sure to vote for only the number of candidates listed in the heading for that office. Some offices allow more than one candidate to be nominated.
- Complete both sides of the ballot.
- Making sure the ballot stub is shown, refold the ballot and place in the secrecy sleeve.
- Place the secrecy sleeve envelope into the manila envelope, seal and sign within the red box on the front of the manila envelope. The ballot will not count if the envelope is not signed!
Tips for Mailing
- Ballots may be returned by postal mail or dropped off at the Clerk’s office (or in the dropbox located in the parking area of Fannie Pell Park) by the voter, an immediate family member, a person residing in the same household or an assistant of the clerk.
- Ballots must be returned by 8:00pm on Election Day.
- Don’t forget to sign the manila envelope!
- Mail early! Ballots must be in the City Clerk’s office by 8:00pm Election Day.
- Place a line through your address on the manila envelope. That helps the post office but also allows us to identify which ballots have been returned.
- One first-class stamp will deliver the ballot to us.