Supervised By: Public Works Superintendent or senior-level Public Works employees.
May also receive supervision from the City Administrator.
Supervises: No supervisory responsibility
Under the general supervision of the Public Works Superintendent, with direct guidance from more senior public works employees, provides general labor in support of a wide range of Public Works maintenance projects.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions; these examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
1. Assists with seasonal landscaping duties. Plants, seeds, weeds, fertilizes and waters grounds. Mows, trims and completes related landscape maintenance duties.
2. Participates in the routine maintenance of recreational fields and park facilities and equipment. Washes, scrapes, paints and completes related tasks associated with park equipment and facilities.
3. Completes basic custodial and maintenance duties for City buildings and facilities. Performs unskilled or semi-skilled tasks involving general cleaning, washing windows, changing light bulbs, and litter and trash collection and disposal. Locks and unlocks facilities as directed.
4. Assists with general clean-up and maintenance activities. Cleans curbs and gutters, sweeps sidewalks, and assists with wastewater treatment plant maintenance.
5. Assists in the routine maintenance of lawn and power equipment. Records preventive maintenance activities according to established procedures.
6. Operates light vehicles and trucks, hand or power tools and other equipment associated with facilities, park and landscape maintenance projects.
7. Assists with special events and seasonal projects as assigned. Puts up holiday decorations and assists with other special events.
8. Completes timesheets and maintains daily work logs of projects completed and the equipment, vehicles and materials used. Completes other paperwork as assigned.
9. Adheres to all applicable safety procedures while operating equipment and tools or working in dangerous situations. Participates in safety training, attends safety meetings and participates in other meetings or committees as directed.
10. Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job. Requirements include the following:
· A valid driver’s license.
· Knowledge of safety procedures and precautions involved in equipment and vehicle operation and seasonal maintenance work.
· Knowledge of the tools, materials and equipment used in landscape and custodial maintenance.
· Skill in the use of landscaping equipment, tools and related implements used in public works maintenance projects.
· Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgement, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with other employees and the public.
· Ability to effectively communicate, understand instructions, and follow directions.
· Ability to work independently and complete projects according to deadlines.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others in person and by radio, and travel to other locations. The employee’s environment can range from a garage setting to outdoors. Physical demands, therefore, range from sitting in a vehicle to the significant physical exertion associated with completing parks maintenance and custodial or general public works maintenance projects.
The employee is frequently required to use sight, physical strength and manual dexterity to complete projects, and may be frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, tools, machinery and vibration, and other physically demanding situations. The noise level in the work environment can range from moderate to very loud.
$9.65 to $11.00 hour
How To Apply
All applications must be turned in at:
City of Plainwell Human Resources Department
211 North Main Street, Plainwell, 49080
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org